Sunday, February 22, 2009

More waiting.........

Yes, more waiting. I spoke with Homeland Adoption Services (HAS, our agency) this week. Not very encouraging news. The wait times are getting longer and longer for referrals. The non special needs wait is up to about 7 years now for a referral. The special needs wait is also being prolonged. No one can give us an answer as to why. There is a lot of speculation though. Some feel it is combination of reasons. Political being one. China does not want to be seen as a country who abandons their children so they are making it more difficult to adopt. Some areas of China now allow families to have more than one child so less children are being placed in orphanages. More American families are trying to adopt from China also. There just are not enough children to be adopted. The special needs programs are having longer waits now partly because families are switching over from NSN to SN programs. Basically supply and demand.

Anyway you look at it, it leaves us with a lot of uncertainty. Our agencies now are saying they do not know when we will get a referral, possibly in the next 6 months with any luck. International adoption world wide is becoming more and more uncertain. Many programs and agencies are closing. Not very promising. So we just have to wait and pray..............

2 comments:

  1. Very well done, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to reach Homeland and happened to come acorss this website. You have done a beautiful job. My husband and I have three beautiful children from China, each adopted through Homeland. I am hoping for a fourth so I have been trying to see what is up via the web. I can't find anything! I've just left some phone messages but since your site is so beautiful I wanted to compliment you. I know the wait is hard and hpe by now you have some great news.

    ReplyDelete


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones