Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Surgery

On our way to Children's Hospital for Lily's cleft palate repair/ear tubes. We left the house this morning @ 4:30 a.m.. Lily was oblivious as to why we were in the car so early. She was her happy little self though. She loves to ride in "Mommy's Car". My heart aches knowing in a few hours she will be in pain and will not understand what is going on.




Playing with toys before making our way into the OR.
Her surgery was scheduled for 7:30 a.m. this morning. She is currently in the OR now and we are waiting for an update from the Surgeon. The surgery will take about 4 hours. We are currently 2 hours in. I got to walk into the OR (#12) with her. She was crying a little because "Daddy" couldn't go, only one of us could. She didn't want to leave him behind. I held her while the anesthesia was administered through a mask on her face. She cried. Having an ambu mask on your face isn't comfortable. Suffocating really (even though it does help you breathe). In about 1 minute she was sleeping. I left..........crying.
I just want these next few days to pass quickly with little trauma. She has done so well these past 6 weeks. I am praying we don't take many steps backwards. Explaining to a 2 1/2 y.o. who only partially understands English what is happening is pretty much impossible. She is so resilient though. I know she will be Ok. As a mother you never want your children to experience pain. She will be so confused after surgery in the recovery room. Not knowing what just happened. I am nervous about seeing her in recovery. As a nurse I know she will be uncomfortable, pale, confused, crying.
We just got an update right now. Things are going well. Dr. Mulliken made his first incision @ 8:30 am. So probably around 4 hours from then she will be finished. We are having all her adoption lab work drawn will she is under anesthesia also. This will save her from having that traumatic experience of having vials of blood drawn at the pediatricians office.
I will update later.


4 comments:

  1. Lori,
    I have been thinking of Lily and your whole family all day. Hope all went as well as possible. I know your Lily is quite an amazing and resilient little girl and I have faith that she will be feeling great soon enough!
    Thoughts and prayers your way,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could be there with you. Take it minute by minute. Hour by hour. That's what you told me and now I'm telling you. Hang in there. Call if you need me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying that all went well and your precious girl is healing quickly. Your little one is so dear, and I think you'll be amazed how resilient she'll be. Our Maia went through some pretty rough testing this summer and also anesthesia, but she somehow came through it all smiling in the end. I was stunned.

    ReplyDelete


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones