Monday, September 14, 2009

GOTCHA DAY



















We have her! What a crazy, emotional, draining, wonderful day. We are exhausted. My heart breaks for Lily knowing she is scared and grieving for her Nannies. She screamed for about an hour when her Nannies left. She kept looking for them at every doorway, putting her arms out to Asian women she didn't know. She wanted her backpack on her back and kept trying to leave out the door to find them. She sobbed and kept screaming Mama (obviously not for me, but for her nanny). We tried everything to distract her but nothing worked. Toys, lollipops, M&Ms. Nada. She just needed to have her time to grieve. I just held her the best I could (she truly was kicking and screaming) and told her it would OK and that we loved her. I haven't watched the video yet but I am sure it will be heart wrenching for us.

Now for the upbeat news............Once she stopped crying, she stopped. We could tell she was still nervous and scared, but at least not crying. She popped a lollipop in her mouth, still had her backpack on but started walking around just looking at the other kids and adults. Anthony had our backpack on and she with hers on. Lily kept following him around, both with their backpacks on. Too cute. She would let us BOTH hold her. We even got a few smiles by tickling her belly. I was thinking at that moment, this just might be ok (when she was screaming, I certainly had my doubts that all of us would be ok).

She definitely is gentle and kind. She has shared her goldfish snacks with others, on her own, not prompted. A little girl dropped her stuffed bear in front of Lily. She quickly picked it up and handed it to the Mom. How cute.

Lily is Tiny!! I haven't weighed her yet but once she wakes up I will get her dressed and weigh her then. I highly doubt she is the 25 lbs they said she is. She looks more like a 18 month old than a 2 1/2 year old. I got a quick peek at her cleft. It is not as bad as I thought but is still pretty wide. She does have two front teeth. They are crooked but at least they are there. I was concerned about that. My glimpse into her mouth was quick, hard to tell the extent of the cleft. I couldn't see her gum line in my glimpse either. Curious to see how that is. Maybe tomorrow I can get another look. Her little nose is flat and will definitely need a revision at some point. We will deal with all this when we get home. We just want to love her up right now. She is sleeping right now. I just want her to wake up so I can see her. I need to kiss her again!!

Enjoy the pictures. Only time to post a few. More later.




6 comments:

  1. At long last!!!!!!! Horray, so happy for you!!!! She is so adorable!!!! I am loving your hair curly!
    Cheering you on from across the globe!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea!! I know how bittersweet the first day can be.....praying for a continued good trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on Gotcha Day-your experience with Lily's grieving was very similar to ours with Bree. By now she probably is totally into you two! Did she come with a stuffed bunny (thought I saw it in the pics) that says "Jesus loves you"-all of the girls have come with this so far from the orphanage. She is truly adorable-we are so happy for you. Saying prayers for a continued safe and happy trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori & Anthony,

    Congrats and wishing you wonderful days of bonding with Lily. Her pictures are adorable : )

    Hugs from the other side of the world,
    Maria and Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to you and your growing family, waiting patiently for more updates and photos, Teddy and the rest of the NICU

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Guarino family! She is absolutely precious. Enjoy your time in China, I can't wait to hear all about it!

    ~Rachel

    ReplyDelete


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones